Saturday, May 28, 2011

Change the school or change the kid

Did I mention in this blog that Sarah has ADHD. Well, she does and apparently I was the last to know. She was diagnosed in third grade. The main advantage to being diagnosed is that she will get extra time on tests and hopefully receive a little more patience and understanding. I am still undecided if that is true. There are a lot of conflicting opinions on ADHD and how it affects learning and how to treat it. Doctors are all about medication, as are some teachers and you can certainly understand why.   Traditional school is more of a challenge for kids like Sarah as well as for most boys. So, we can medicate, which will make it easier for her to sit still and pay attention in her school as well as make her more agreeable to the teachers,  or we could keep Sarah just as she is and change they way she does school.  Sarah does not want to be medicated and believed me I have asked her...often. So maybe my decision is not a dilemma at all but just common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment