Thursday, May 26, 2011

Trial Run

Yesterday Sarah wanted to stay home from school for absolutely no reason at all. I relented because I secretly wanted to try our homeschooling. We began our day with bagels at Einsteins and started school at about 9 am.  I have to say from 9am until noon, she seemed very engaged. We worked on Language Arts, writing and Math. She is constant motion so we moved around the house a bit before finally settling into a spot in the Family room. At noon we ate lunch and at 12:30 we began Science.After science, I could tell I was losing her.  Her attention was definitely wavering. But Hey, I got 3 and a half good hours out of her of straight academic work which I think is more than I can say for school. At 1:15 we went to the YMCA to swim for about an hour and then it was off to Piano lessons. Overall a pretty good first Day! I asked Sarah how she thought the day went and she said "Perfect". I think that may be overstating it a little but I'll take it.

After we went to Piano, we went to Kumon for an assessment. This is not a true assessment because it took 30 minutes and they are trying to sell me a product. Well, no surprise they thought she should be well below grade level in math and reading.  I am a little skeptical but the Kumon way is rote memorization in a timed setting. This is not really the best way Sarah learns but I do think it has its' merit. Also, it is EXPENSIVE.

One challenge is for Sarah and I to carve out time away from each other. I noticed yesterday, it was a lot of togetherness which seemed to suit Sarah fine but I felt a little anxious. Sarah has a big personality and is very talkative and needs a lot of affirmation throughout the day.  I think school must be hard for her because she cannot move but I also think it may be good for her because it gives her structure. We will have to work through a routine that works for both of us and one that we can combine both structure and flexibility. Time will tell but I think we are on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment