Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Eve of School

Tomorrow is the first day of home school. I have been so focused on math and reading that I haven't fully researched Social Studies. I was going through the curriculum and it was about ancient civilizations. Sarah has learned nothing about this. I looked back at the fourth grade in our online program and saw that fourth grad included an introduction to this topic. I can"t very well start the fifth grade without the basics from fourth grade. The fourth grade also covered the Revolutionary war which Sarah has only really heard of. I honestly do not know what they did in fourth grade SS at her school. They learned about map reading and the regions of the united stares and I really think that is about all. A whole year, 45 minutes a day and all you learned was how to read a map and limited geography of the regions of the US. I am a little  mad at myself that I didn't pay attention more to her studies. Her SS spiral notebook came home at the end of the year and there were about ten pages filled out.  Now I know. I feel like I learn so much everyday. 


Although we are doing an abbreviated school day in the summer, tomorrow should be fun. I think we will work from 10- 12 and see what we get done. I will gage Sarah's attentiveness and a lot will depend on the weather. If it is a hot day she will go swimming in the afternoon..if not maybe more school. Either way it is the beginning of year round school.  I will try to chronicle our progress in this blog so I have a record of our journey into homeschooling.  I am nervous and excited and hope I can work out some kinks in the next 2 months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment