Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Writing

   Writing is not as easy as it seems. Clearly it is more than just putting words on a page.  In The fourth grade I am not sure what is expected. I remember when I first began to write. I wrote poems mostly, and some short stories. I thought that I was quite the talent. looking back at some of my writings, I can see now that I was pretty passionate and yes..pretty good. Of course I was young and the subject matter was a little dramatic but overall I think my work had some merit. I remember being proud of my writing. I remember getting feedback. I never liked the editing process because I was always very impatient and a little stubborn. Hindsight tells me that much of work could have used some revision.


Sarah is in Fourth grade and for whatever reason she has not grasped onto the writing bug. She is creative and imaginative and is constantly replaying stories in her head. But, like me she is impatient and it is difficult for her to finish things. I am hoping homeschool gives her an opportunity to really learn to write.


 We bought a little Mother/daughter journal from a local paper store. The concept is that she writes something and then I respond and we leave it on each others nightstand. The book give us some prompts like: what were you like as a daughter when you were my age? and what will you be like as a mother? It is very sweet and really gives her a way to write without it feeling like an assignment. I highly recommend it!



No comments:

Post a Comment