Wednesday, June 8, 2011

More validation and summer reading

Today I received a call from a parent who is also pulling her child from our school for basically the same reason that we are. This is an involved parent with a background in education who is respected. Although the circumstances are slightly different the reasons are pretty much the same.  Wow, I wish I had known some of these things earlier, I would have gotten Sarah extra enrichment. The bottom line is the school believes ability grouping and tracking is a good way to teach.  Maybe it is just a difference in philosophies. I think perhaps that is the question we should be asking of our schools is How do you teach as opposed to what do you teach. As every day passes I know my decision is the right one or at least the better one.


This was the true last day of school. It was only Mass and then distribution of report cards.  Sarah received all As and a  B+ in reading and spelling.  A pretty good report card, you would think she is ready for fifth grade. Think again. We also signed up for Summer Reading at the library.  This is be the first summer we will actually participate and I am really excited. Sarah seems to be excited about reading which is huge. Tomorrow marks the first day  of summer vacation. I think we will take a few days off and start school on Monday.  This will be the first day in recent memory where we have absolutely nothing to do..I mean nothing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment