Sunday, March 11, 2012

Anderson Cooper

    I just watched the Anderson  Cooper show about Adhd,  which also talked about unschooling.  I know it's lent and I gave up TV but I made an exception because it was kind of like research..Right? Well, in true form they were talking about medication and they had two examples. The sane mom who has her kid in school and medicates. She was sympathetic and sweet and you could totally  feel her struggle. She was nonjudgmental and typical of so many  parents out there.  Then we have the example of a Mom against medication, who surprise.. surprise,  unschools. All I could say is Oh Crap! Why couldn't my side get the normal one. Although the unchooling mom has great points, she was judgey and annoying and talked about how before 1850, everyone was homeschooled. Well guess what? before 1850 there was slavery and women couldn't vote. That is a ridiculous argument. You had a national forum and you blew it. After watching that show I wanted to Medicate Sarah and send her off to school.
It is no wonder that people think homeschoolers are religious zealots or frustrated hippies. Just so you know, I have met none of those..Okay I met one but that doesn't count. 


I have three goals for this blog. 1) keep an accounting of our progress 2) post links of stories of cool homeschoolers and 3) never use the word journey in my writing (after 10 seasons of The Bachelor, I can never look at that word the same way.. except of course, if I am referring to the most awesome band ever!!)


In closing, the best part of the show was Anderson Cooper himself who I haven't seen since Fat Tuesday and I can honestly say I have missed. I have to thank my sister for tipping me off to this episode which I taped. On April 9th I am taking a sick day and watching 40 days worth of Anderson Cooper and The real Housewives....I can't wait..See.. Homeschoolers aren't all crazy. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Kim staton, the mom on the show you spoke of. I grew up with ADD. I wasn't medicated and neither were my brothers with ADD. It was a to year struggle of trying many things to work with Dakota. They just didn't work! Trust me it was the last resort!!! I had a hard time getting my points across as the flow of the show permitted me from that.


    I will pray for you during your process, not journey raising your child with ADHD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am also a big admirer of Anderson Cooper. thanks for the post, i really enjoyed it Maureen

    ReplyDelete