Tuesday, March 20, 2012

No more Gluten, maybe

I think because we have had this little burst of summer, our brains have decided that summer is actually here....unfortunately it's not and we still have full time school for over 2 more months. I know if it is hard for me, it is quadroopilly hard for Sarah, (I know it's not a word, that's why I made the spelling extra fun).

Luckily we started early in the day so we were able to get a lot done. Around 1:30 we decided to go the Trader Joe's.  I have been entertaining the idea of a gluten free diet for years but have never really committed to it. I have no doubt that we would be healthier, exercise wouldn't hurt either but I don't want to go all out crazy. It turns out Trader Joe's has a lot of Gluten free items and they are only about three times the price of the regular things. How come every time you take something out of food, the price goes up, sugar, fat, salt, caffeine, and gluten? I think to compensate, a bag of sugar and a carton of salt should be given away free with every order. 


Sarah had a great time at the store, she had her list  of gluten free items and read all the labels. My fear is that she will end up living on Chex cereal and Fritoes. Turns out..snacks are not the problem when going gluten free.  I have to roll my eyes a little to think I am one of those Moms, just last week I heard myself saying..I could be Vegan.  


Through the homeschool community, I have met many people with varying opinions about diet and how it relates to behavior. I think much of it is valid, but also individualized. What works for one kid has little effect on another and what one parent perceives as an impact another can barely recognize.  I think it can all be summed up by one statement. 
                               
                  Don't let your kids eat crap and make them run around. 


If that involves chasing them to pry the Oreos out of their hands than so be it.

1 comment:

  1. seems like Sarah really knows how to shop. happy summers! :)

    ReplyDelete