Friday, March 16, 2012

Kid teaches Mom

     Sometimes in our efforts to pack everything into a school day we revert to what we know. What I know is traditional school and although I realize it is not the best model, it quickly becomes my default. I can basically end up lecturing and  giving out worksheets if I am not careful. I have to admit, there are days when it is just easier.


    I looked at Sarah during a lesson on cells and she looked totally bored. So I decided to switch it up a bit. I gave her the materials and told her I would be back in 30 minutes for my lesson, (at which time I took a well deserved break and read O magazine) She had to teach me about single cells, multicellular organisms, bacteria, protozoans and amoebas. What kid doesn't want to be the teacher?   She did great and we both learned a lot.   Sarah likes to be the boss which is tough because I like to be the boss too.  Of course when she does it, it is bossy and disrespectful and when I do it, it is parenting.


Sometimes I find the best solution is sitting right in front of you. One of my favorite quotes is " If you can't explain something simply then you don't understand it well enough" I'm not sure if that is it exactly but you get the idea....I think Einstein said it but I could be wrong...I got it off Pinterest. 


If anyone reading this blog has never heard of Pinterest..google it and say goodbye to your life. I know  people say smoking is hard to kick but...ohhh this Pinterest is a tough one.  There are a ton of great home school ideas if you are tempted.. but you have been warned.


I think I may have Sarah research and teach a lesson once a week. She's smart, likes to talk and can use the internet just like me. I'll let you know how it goes.



1 comment:

  1. yea it happens. i mean it is a fact that moms and teachers learn so much from kids. kids are so innocent but God has blessed them with great intelligence too :)

    ReplyDelete