Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Stargirl

Today we discussed the book Stargirl in our girls book group. If you haven't read it, it is worth the time.


It is about a girl who enters High School after having been homeschooled her whole life. Although Homeschooling is not the main theme of the book, it plays a role. The author accurately gives an account of High School life and it ain't pretty, especially for someone who dresses, acts or looks differently. It was so interesting to hear the girls reaction, most of whom have never been to school. I think the girls accepted that homeschool kids are different. I am not so sure that is the case. I think they are the same but their circumstances require different things of them. I think in a school setting they too would adapt to the environment and act accordingly. Sarah is the same person she was when she was in school;however, she is able to move and speak more freely throughout the day. This freedom breeds some creativity and arrogance that may not have been as apparent in a traditional school.  She has less stress I am sure, both socially and academically.  I think the environment determines the behavior and kids become who they are  at that time of their lives based on the school dynamic or the lack thereof. 


So what would you do to fit in? change? lie? abandon your principles or friendships? Honestly I think most people at some time in their lives have gone along with the group so they would not be singled out or embarrassed. How can we expect our children to be so brave as to go against the grain? One way may be  to create an environment where being an individual is not ridiculed or ignored but embraced. I don't know if that environment is always Homeschool but I do know that it is not School. I read the book much differently than the girls and I couldn't help thinking of my school years. I felt so sad that it is accepted that this is part of growing up because it absolutely is. Certainly homeschooling can help for those that are fortunate enough to do it, but what about everyone else. Stargirl was truly an individual and not because she was homeschooled but because she was a high school student trying to find her way in an impossible circumstance...high school. In this regard she was just like everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment